Amputation scheduled for Friday noon

Matthew and I met with the head doctor this morning. Unfortunately, due to muscle and tissue death in Matthew’s forearm, they will not be able to save his hand and most of his forearm. He is scheduled to have surgery for amputation on Friday, sometime around noon or 1 pm California time at UCSF.

The hope is that they will be able to amputate below the elbow, but there is about a 50/50 chance they will not be able to. It depends on the condition of the muscle, which they will not know until they open up the arm in surgery. If they cannot save the elbow joint, the two other options are detaching at the elbow joint, or amputating at the humerus, partway up the upper arm. They will make that decision on the spot, in the OR. They will do all they can to save as much as of the arm as possible, without leaving any part that could lead to the spread of tissue death.

This is not the outcome we were hoping for and praying for. Please pray for Matthew and all of us as his family. Please pray that the surgery will be safe, for God’s protection of Matthew, for wisdom for the surgeons as they have to make a hard decision on the spot and that Matthew will be able to keep his elbow and as much of his forearm as possible in order to give him the very best options for the most useful kind of prosthesis.

Thank you for your love, support, and prayers,
Todd (for all the Prices)

One thought on “Amputation scheduled for Friday noon

  1. blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Todd and Matthew  you are in our prayers that the surgery will be effective  Is there a phone  you have that I can call you. Praying, Dad and Mom

    Sent from Ya

     hoo Mail for iPhone

Leave a ReplyCancel reply