Thank you for your prayers for Matthew and us. Today Matthew had his first follow-up appointment after being discharged from the hospital. The appointment was to evaluate how his pain has been since he left the hospital and to see what adjustments need to be made to his medications.
We are thankful that Matthew’s pain has been lower for the most part, though with occasional spikes. The doctor told us which pain medications he can scale back on as well as a few approaches to help manage the pain aside from medication. This was a good meeting and helpful for us as we move forward. It also was an opportunity to make arrangements for physical therapy, occupational therapy, and counseling.
Please pray as we are all grieving in many ways. The loss of his arm is a very traumatic event that is changing so much for him and for our family. We would ask you to pray for Matthew and all of us in the family to healthily grieve and adjust to all the transitions which have come or are coming.
We’ve also gotten estimates on what it would take to repair his car, which was totaled and found out that the cost (well over $4k) is far more than the car is worth. This means he will need to salvage the vehicle in California and get another one in Kansas City. It also means we will not have it as a means of transporting his things from Oakland back to KC.
Pamala is diligently packing up the things in our rental home in Croatia to take back to the States for our home assignment and medical leave. Ariela and Daniel have been troopers with all the changes, and we’re glad they have been able to keep attending Taekwando (Daniel) and ballet (Ariela), as well as having friends over to play.
One of our translators, Zoki, and his wife, Gordana, who just had a baby girl, came over to visit Pam at our house. They had a great visit, and we are so encouraged by the kindness, generosity, and love shown by this family who has so little of this world’s wealth. Pray for Zoki and each of the translators as they continue translating God’s Word in five Roma languages.
Here are the praises and prayer requests:
- Praise that Matthew’s pain has been lower after being discharged from the hospital.
- Pray that he can reduce some of his dosages, yet keep the pain lower.
- Pray as he and we grieve many losses in his life and changes in our lives.
- Pray for his amputation wound to heal well and for a good follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Friday.
- Pray they will begin nerve testing soon, get clear and accurate results, know the best surgery option, and get the surgery scheduled very soon for nerve transfer.
- Pray as we get a second opinion for a different kind of nerve treatment (reimplantation), which is much more complex and has potential risks. Pray as we gather more information for God to open or close doors for that surgery option.
- Pray Matthew can salvage his car quickly and receive reasonable payment for the vehicle.
- Please pray for healing also of the pinched nerves in his other shoulder, of the chyle leak near his neck, and the broken vertebra in his neck. Pray that these would not require surgery.
- Pray for swelling to go down and for the muscle to remain healthy in his upper left arm.
- Pray for progress in making appointments for a prosthesis.
- Pray for a place for the six of us to live in KC for the next 12-24 months (3-4 bedroom, near Blue Springs, MO).
- Pray that the coronavirus scare would not cancel flights and prevent Pamala and the kids from flying from Croatia back to the States. Yesterday, we paid $1,100 to get our tickets changed from our original July date to April 3, from Croatia to Kansas City.
Thank you for praying!
To donate to help with our medical, travel, and family expenses, when you do not need a tax-deductible receipt, you can send a check to us c/o Dan & Kim Sharp, 15703 Allen Ave, Belton, MO 64012, or give online at https://www.gofundme.com/f/matthew-price .
To donate to Pioneers for our missionary support, in which case you will receive a tax-deductible receipt, send a check to Pioneers, 10123 William Carey Dr, Orlando, FL 32832, call in to (407) 382-6000, or give online at https://give.pioneers.org/ . Designate your gift for account #110250.